Dear Fiction Readers…this post is for you. I’m not selling you anything. I just want to know your opinion. Would you mind giving me a few minutes?
The above image came across my Facebook the other day and I found it incredibly interesting from a writer’s perspective.
There are countless websites, articles and blog posts that you can find about “What Readers Want.” For the writer, there are no easy answers, there is no formula, and if anyone tells you there is, they are lying. For example, I’ve been told, don’t use Chapter Titles, it isn’t professional. And yet, according to the above graphic, readers WANT Chapter Titles. Looks like someone forgot to ask the reader.
So, I’ve decided to go to the source: the Readers. If you read fiction novels, any genre, this is for you. I really want to know your opinions.
Please leave your comments below. You don’t have to answer all the questions. I just want to know what’s most important to you when choosing a new author to read.
- Let’s start with what genre do you read? (ie fantasy, SciFi, contemporary fiction, romance, etc.)
- Regarding the image above, do you like/want Chapter Titles beyond “Chap 1,” “Chap. 2,” etc?
- When shopping for a book (either online or in store) are you drawn by a book cover’s image or title first?
- Do you actually read reviews? If so, how much weight to you put into them?
- How do you find NEW authors or books to read? (not referring to favorite or familiar authors) Recommendations? Reviews? Amazon search?
- Do Facebook Ads or Google Ads ever get you to buy a book?
- Where do you buy most of your books? Online or in person? Is Amazon your first choice?
- Does following an author on social media matter to you?
That’s all I have for now. Thank you for your participation!
As a reader, your opinion matters! As I writer, I want to write the best book possible with my readers in mind.