I’m amazed at what people (especially kids) think is acceptable behavior at other people’s houses. The following is a list (The Good, The Bad and the Ugly) of what I would want to know about MY kids’ behavior if they are a guest in someone’s home.
First, the Bad and Ugly.
I would want to know…
- If my kid was rude at your home.
- If my kid doesn’t wait his/her turn.
- If my kid speaks harshly to another.
- If my kid breaks any or all of the rules.
- If my kid jumps on your furniture or gets into your stuff.
- If my kid is disrespectful.
- If my kid doesn’t clean up after him/herself.
- If my kid lies or is sneaky.
- If my kid is a bad influence.
- If my kid breaks a promise.
CONVERSELY, I would also want to know…
- If my kid goes out of his/her way to help someone.
- If my kid is especially polite.
- If my kid tells the truth no matter what.
- If my kid helps without being asked.
- If my kid says “please” and “thank you.”
- If my kid uses good judgment.
- If my kid stands up for what’s right.
- If my kid is a good influence.
- If my kid follows all the rules.
- If my kid shows grace and mercy.
It’s important for me to know how my kids behave when I send them out into the world. I want to know whether or not they take to heart what we’ve taught them and that they carry those things out into the world with them. I know they’re not perfect, trust me…I know. And I don’t expect them to be. But I do expect them to be polite enough to be invited back, and to know that there are fundamentals to building their reputation now, that will reflect on them later.